Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Finally: An Interview and a Chance to Be a Stalker

So, I finally have an interview! At this point I've responded to almost 40 job ads, and so far this is what I've gotten:

-One email from someone who wanted me to design stationary to put on her site, commission-based
-Two emails from scam artists claiming to be foreigners whose children need tutoring when they arrive in the US, a deal in which I would be paid by check (yeeeeeah...) but then would have to wire money to the "caregiver" (do they think I am retarded?) note: STOP POSTING LEGITIMATE LOOKING ADS FOR TEACHERS ON CRAIGSLIST, WE MAY BE PATIENT WITH CHILDREN BUT WE ARE CAPABLE OF HURTING SOMEONE AND ARE GETTING REALLY PISSED OFF!
-And finally, a phone call and an interview!

I have visited 4 temp agencies (meeting with one tomorrow) but I don't have high hopes, since I'm pretty sure that half of NYC is also trying to sell themselves to the limited number of agencies, and there are probably at least 1.8 million people who are more qualified than me. Oh, and also I hear no one is hiring temps in this economic fiasco. Wahoo.

But, I have an interview on Friday for a fantastic-sounding (hopefully my ears don't lie this time...) job at a small architecture firm in Soho (getting to work in Manhattan again? glorious!) which entails doing everything I am qualified to do: graphic design, admin, office management. For once, maybe I won't feel underqualified? Now that would be a miracle. Just getting this job would be a miracle, as I talked to my former boss yesterday and he said since things are slowing down at their firm they are switching to a 4 day work week. Not sure what that entails for the employees, but it doesn't sound good. Ouch.

Also, I was able to stalk another potential employer and it may actually have worked in my favor! I went down to the school where I had applied to an Afterschool job by email, and I actually got to talk to the person who heads up the program. Face time is good, but even better is that she seemed very enthused to see me and said, I quote,"I am so glad you came down here, you have just made my job much easier!" after she had told me they got over 200 applicants for two positions and hadn't had time to look over them yet. So, go squeaky wheel! And thanks Dad, for encouraging me to risk being annoying and go get em!

I am mad sick still (mention I think I have the flu?) but mentally I feel better than I have in weeks- there's a (slight) chance I will be able to change jobs, kill the 2 hour commute, and never have to deal with hooligans in Hollis again. Keep your fingers, toes, and any other bendable digits you may have crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment