Monday, February 16, 2009

One Week Into It (my job, my life post-deathbed, etc.)

Consensus?
So far I like my job and I kind of hate everything else. Yes, this is one of those negative blog posts where you humor me because I am going to rant like every other blogger does from time to time (or all the time) about various things I don't like. And at least a few of these are somehow work-related, though I don't know how related they are to the larger picture of what the hell I should do with my life. I will try to make a correlation at some point.

Things I Don't Like:
-Getting sick. And staying sick for extended periods of time.
-Missing my birthday. Inevitably I will not be sick anymore and then I will just be sad that I missed the only day out of 365 that is devoted to me and during which I can't feel bad about doing everything I want and nothing useful.
-Not getting a birthday cake with candles or a reasonable facsimile thereof.
-People who don't care that I'm on my deathbed. Or at least that I can't get out of bed to wash the puke off my comforter.
-Having to cancel an expensive NON-REFUNDABLE vacation because of aforementioned illness.
-Having to do complicated taxes.
-Having to do complicated taxes 4 times a year.
-This horrifically cold weather.


How this relates to what I should do with my life:
-Don't buy expensive vacations ahead of time.
-If you do buy expensive vacations, make sure you spend the extra 50 bucks on insurance. If you are anything like me and tend to have big accidents at inopportune times, you will need it. This goes for more than vacations. This goes for EVERYTHING.
-Do not live in New York City where it is either brutally hot or brutally cold.
-I have no advice for missed birthdays, cakes, or finding people who will help you wash puke off your comforter (or at least ask how you are doing), or taxes. I am apparently very bad at keeping such things in order.

It is obvious that I am going through the stages of grief over my lost health and lost vacation. I was too sick to care about anything except trying not to die, then I was so happy that I was alive and could actually breathe without coughing up my left lung and walk outside (walk! outside!), then I was sad about how weeks of bed rest affected the rest of my always faltering life, and now I am just angry. I am not an angry person. I do not like being an angry person. I need to figure out what to do about this.

Feeling a little manic lately. Can you tell? I blame it on Valentine's Day. Another thing I'm going to continue disliking even though I'm in a relationship. What is the point of a holiday in which no one, no matter where they are in life, knows what they should be doing to celebrate it? I'm for Thanksgiving, where it's obvious that turkey is the focal point of the day and it is a known fact that you do not need to buy anything for anybody, because there is no such thing as a Thanksgiving Day gift. Turkey is obvious, and edible and delicious, and also kind of healthy. People should care more about Thanksgiving. People should send Thanksgiving Day cards.

So that's it. I'm for turkey. And apparently I have anger issues. And I need to get the hell over it. But my job's pretty decent. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment